If you have spent any time with me in person over the past couple of months then you may have recognised that I have been feeling a little bit…hmm…not so fresh.
Ordinarily I pride myself on being a really positive and enthusiastic individual who doesn’t really take things to heart and breezes through life’s challenges without getting too bogged down in the emotion of everything. However, lately it’s fair to say that I have been going through somewhat of a crisis of confidence. After doing some soul searching I’ve realised that I can pin this down to a few things; I’ve been feeling a little bit stressed and bogged down at work, I’ve been having some body confidence issues due to some new medications, my illnesses have really been taking their toll and I’ve been feeling a little bit lonely, amongst other things! If I’m honest with you, and myself, there has been a whole barrage of things going on recently that I have been struggling with, some of which probably require their own blog post.
But rather than get stuck in the negatives, today I thought I’d look to the positives and tell you about what I’ve learnt whilst trying to cope with those things, which is just how much of a difference the little things can make.
So I’m going to share my list of the top 50 things that make me feel happier and more positive, to bring a little bit more light to this corner of the internet. As much as I love cheese (that’ll feature somewhere on the list for sure…) I’m going to try really hard not to make this too cheesy, but I can’t make any promises. So if that isn’t your cup of tea (that’ll feature too…) feel free to click off now and go and read something else. Heck, if there’s one thing I’ve learnt recently, it’s that there’s no point doing something that you know doesn’t make you happy!
But let’s talk about what does:
1) McDonalds chicken nuggets – I’m not one of those people who thinks of McDonalds as a convenience thing or a hangover cure, for me their chicken nuggets are second to none.
2) Fresh bed sheets.
3) A nice mug of tea.
4) Watching my Dad play cricket. I pretty much spend every weekend with my Mum watching my Dad play cricket and the cricket club has definitely become one of my happy places.
5) The fact that Justin Bieber has changed near enough everyone’s perception of him and released tune after tune after tune. No Justin- it’s not too late to say sorry… Welcome back!
6) Reuniting with old friends.
7) Reading a good book in the sunshine!
8) People watching.
9) Salad boxes from the little cafe around the corner from my work with my friend Heather.
10) Getting a ’99 with a flake and strawberry sauce from our local ice cream man, whatever the weather.
11) My YouTube subscription box.
12) Talking about YouTube drama with my friend Robyn.
13) Reading up on ridiculous conspiracy theories.
14) A bath filled with Lush products.
15) A fresh hair cut.
16) Lunches near the sea!
17) My friend Ben’s joke book.
18) Cheese jokes… Specifically this one: “what did the cheese say when it looked in the mirror?” Answers in the comments please…
19) The dog filter on Snapchat- don’t judge me…
20) My Grandma’s roast dinners… YUM.
21) An ice cold can of full fat coke.
23) Sending surprise cards in the post to my friends.
24) Warm towels straight out of the dryer.
26) Writing on the first page of a brand new notebook.
28) A Whetherspoons burger and onion rings…
29) Using an obscene amount of emojis in every text/tweet/Facebook/Instagram post.
30) The TV programme First Dates. I genuinely think it is one of the best and most heartwarming shows on TV, can’t get enough!
31) Live music- especially festivals.
32) Making it through a whole day without sneezing (I told you, it’s the little things!)
33) Sleeping with a fan on. I think it’s the noise more than the cool air, but there’s just something really comforting about it.
36) Eastenders. Yep. I still watch it.
37) Gossip Girl xoxo
38) Popping bubblewrap.
39) Waking up in the middle of the night and realising I can still go back to sleep before my alarm. Take that one time gods.
40) Taking my bra off when I get home after wearing it since 6am. EVERY DAY.
41) When someone holds the door open for me.
42) Waiting for a train and the doors opening right in front of me when it stops. Win.
43) Fast-forwarding Sky+ and pressing play just as the adverts end.
44) When more than 10 people like my Instagram photo.
45) Watching Made In Chelsea and live-texting the entire episode with my best friend.
46) The smell of old books.
48) Trying out a new recipe and it actually working out.
49) When your moisturiser sinks in almost instantly. Origins skincare- you’re my hero.
50) Writing lists.
What are the little things make you feel happier? Leave me a comment and I’ll be sure to try them out!
Hope this wasn’t too cheesy for you. It’s definitely got me thinking more positively and got me in the Friday spirit (see point no.47).
Lots of love,
Edit: no.34… Making a mistake in a blog post but not caring!